 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2449
2448  |  2450
Subject:
Star Wars Chess Set MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.build, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 02:20:25 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I’ve finally finished a Star Wars chess set MOC which I’ve been slowly building over the last year or so (Though it’s more like ‘purchasing in small batches’, since there’s very little actual construction.)

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=108013 (After mod)
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Shibboleth/ChessBoard/set_overview.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Shibboleth/ChessBoard/overview_2.jpg

It’s quite large: Each square of the board is 6*6, so it exactly fills a 48*48 baseplate. For those without math skills, that means there is 288 2*2 tiles of each colour. This was the most expensive part of the set, though I found bricklink prices very reasonable.

Instead of using a typical piece-retention system by having a 2*2 plate in the centre of each square, I’ve instead opted to recess the centre square. This holds in each piece quite securely.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Shibboleth/ChessBoard/dead_pawn.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Shibboleth/ChessBoard/recess_view.jpg

Dramatis Personae:
Empire
King: Emperor Palpatine
Queen: Darth Vader
Bishops: Imperial Guards (they just look the part. I bought the Imperial Shuttle just to get these two figs)
Knights: Darth Maul, Darth Sidious
Rooks: Boba Fett, Jango Fett
Pawns: A motley collection of Storm troopers, Clone troopers, Scout Troopers and a snow trooper

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Shibboleth/ChessBoard/all_empire.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Shibboleth/ChessBoard/empire_1.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Shibboleth/ChessBoard/empire_2.jpg

Rebels
King: Yoda
Queen: Luke Skywalker
Bishops: Han Solo and Chewbacca
Knights: Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Con Jinn (‘cause they’re Jedi knights)
Rooks: R2D2 and C3P0 (They can only move in a straight line anyway)
Pawns: An indominable force of Gungans and Ewoks (which always reminds me of this strip http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20000327 )

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Shibboleth/ChessBoard/all_rebels.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Shibboleth/ChessBoard/rebels_1.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Shibboleth/ChessBoard/rebels_2.jpg

Sadly, I wasn’t able to find a place for Leia, though you can use Luke / Leia as King / Queen if you want. A plus for this moc was that it doubled my collection of minifigs! (I’m such a technic nut).

The set has been extensively play-tested. Originally it’d be tricky to memorize what each character’s role is. It helped to have a printout of the pieces alongside the board though, to stave off arguments when Obi-Wan suddenly moves slideways across the board and takes out Vader. This has been solved though the use of different ‘bases’ for each of the higher-ranked pieces.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Shibboleth/ChessBoard/bases_view.jpg

Now I’ve got a good chess board, I think I’ll start making up other chess sets from figs. I might make dedicated episode 2 or episode 4 SW chess sets (rather than the mish-mash I’ve got now), maybe even the fearsome ninja vs pirate showdown!

More Pics:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Shibboleth/ChessBoard/closeup.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Shibboleth/ChessBoard/inplay.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Shibboleth/ChessBoard/inplay_close.jpg