 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2349
2348  |  2350
Subject:
Incredible Ohio Stadium Model!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.loc.us.oh
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 00:45:34 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

For years my brother has been bugging me to build a scale model of Ohio Stadium. Today he forwarded me an email with several images attached. Apparently someone has already beat me to the punch!

This wonderful model was build by Faye Bodyke and the accompanying email reads as follows:

“Here it is after 2+ years of work. It is a 1:275 (approximate) scale model of Ohio Stadium, built entirely with Legos. A few pictures are attached to this e-mail, I hope everyone will be able to open them.

The project commenced in July 2002 and was finally completed in October 2004. I have no idea on how many thousands of pieces are in the model (it would be nearly impossible to count without dismantling), but can say that it weighs around 38 pounds, not including the plywood base. The footprint is 36 1/2” x 46 1/2” and stands 10” tall. I devoted around 2000 hours of my time, which includes activities needed to research, locate and purchase the pieces, planning, layout, assembly, disassembly, and much trial and error. The stadium was constructed in sections to facilitate moving in the future.

At the beginning, I set “rules” to help guide the project: no modifying pieces, no glue, and no paint. This model is held together entirely by the interlocking features of the Lego bricks and gravity, but is still fragile. The largest obstacle was the scale - the size of the pieces limited the amount of detail I was able to obtain (note the absence of yard lines, among others). I had two choices - live with it, or increase the scale. I decided to live with it for space and financial reasons. Despite these compromises, I did my best to work around the brick limitations and managed to keep the features approximately proportionate to one another. Obtaining a horseshoe shape with square Lego pieces made this project challenging. Up close, the appearance seems rough, but blends together well when viewed at a distance. The work required a great deal of patience, but proved to be therapeutic at times.

For reference, I had to rely on pictures and dimensional information from the internet. Visits to the stadium were infrequent, as I live over 200 miles from the stadium (yes in Michigan). I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that there are no blue or yellow pieces anywhere on this model. Not even the north rotunda (besides the pieces are too large to obtain sufficient amount of detail).

Overall, the project was past due and over budget, but am happy with the results. I hope everyone appreciates my “art”. The fun for me was attained in building it and helped stimulate some creativity. It was like putting together a customized 3-D puzzle with no instructions and an endless supply of pieces. This model is definitely a one of a kind.”

Feel free to forward this document to friends, family, work associates, etc.

Faye Bodyke

J. Spencer Rezkalla
The Ohio State University
‘95 B.S. Aeronautical Engineering