 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2291
2290  |  2292
Subject:
Sears Tower Revisited
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.loc.us.il.chi
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 02:06:46 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

After visiting the Sears Tower for the first time this past summer, I decided my existing microfig model was sorely in need of a major rebuild. So I completely dismantled it and started from scratch using the multitude of photos I had taken during the trip as reference.

The biggest improvement was to switch over the windows from dark gray plates to individual 1x1 clear plates. The new model consumed almost 4000 of these tiny windows! In order to get the proper reflective qualities, an additional row of black plates had to be placed behind the windows which doubled the tower’s wall thickness to two studs and consumed a lot of extra plates. However I am quite pleased with the results as the new design provides a more realistic glass tower appearance (and as a bonus I was able to reabsorb all those dark gray plates back into my collection).

The other major improvement was to include the details of the skyscraper’s granite base. This part was a bit tricky simply because there are very few element types available in sand red. Included are the major building entrances on Wacker, Franklin, and Jackson streets.

As a whimsical touch I also built a simple interpretation of the 103rd floor Skydeck observatory which is accessible by simply removing the very top of the tower. In addition, I updated the rooftop antenna cluster.

You can read more about the details of the model and compare it to photos of the real Sears Tower by visiting the MocPage or my Brickshelf Gallery. Enjoy!

Next up for a complete rebuild: John Hancock Center!

Spencer