 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2120
2119  |  2121
Subject:
2nd Civ.Moc entry: Charon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.contests
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:54:34 GMT

During the 20th and early 21th century, the burialpractices shifted gradually from enternment to cremation, and because of the rising world population, cremation were expected to be popular for a long time.

However what wasn’t taken in account were a rapid depletion of the worlds oil ressources, that triggered the 3rd world war, which together with repeating environmental catastrophies caused by global warming and genetic modified organisms, resulted in 200 dark years of poverty and misery.

With the help of new technologies, the situation gradually came under control, and by the middle of the 3rd millenia, society suddenly achieved the luxury of not having to recycle the dead with the rest of the garbage.

But with the entire funeral industry long gone, everything needed to be recreated from pictures, and here it was felt that the later hearses looked too much like ordinary cars, contrary to the old horsedriven ones from the 19th century (which seemed much more exotic to contemporary eyes), and it was felt that these looked more like ‘real’ hearses (even though they looked much like the other horsedriven waggons of the time), and it was decided this was the right shape to be converted to antigrav. technology.

But although the hearses imitated the old style they contained all the functions of the later types like a shelfe for the coffin, that can be extended out through the back, so the bearers can flank the coffin to carry it (or most usually drag it while an antigrav. catafalque does the carrying), and holders for different insignia like flags, lanterns, flowers or whatever the (religious) demands of the family prescribes. Naturally there’s a good view into the hearse, especially from the following cars, but additionally also from top and front (because the traffic has gone airborne).

Regarding the rendering, it has taken huge amounts of time to complete and render due to the high complexity of the scene (61898 lines), but I’m quite satisfied with it; it contains all three of my entries to the contest, and some of my older models for variation. As with the last scene made for the MG3k, all three of my entries are in the picture, can you find the MG? (I created some birds for the scene as well, during two rendering of the scene) I managed to complete my third entry today (the big yellow bus), and I hope to post a presentation here soon(!), but I can’t promise a fancy scene before the deadline of the contest.

Comments about model or scene are very welcome!

There’s a rotation-animation of the model, two animations that demonstrates the extension and the holders, as well as a couple of more pictures in my birckshelf folder, which currently awaits moderation