 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 1883
1882  |  1884
Subject:
A new American Class 4-4-0 wood burning steam engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:58:26 GMT

I just finished uploading pictures of my new steam engine to my web
site. I decided to put up pictures even though the engine is still
missing one black macaroni brick (Since a lot of my LEGO is still in
boxes from the last move, it will be a while before I have the time to
dig through my collection and find that brick).

The url is
http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/lego/trains/engines/american_4-4-0/american_4-4-0.html

I'd like to hear what people have to say about it, and here are some
answers to some questions that I suspect might be asked.

You are right, those are not LEGO wheels. The big drive wheels are made
by Big Ben Bricks. They are compatible with LEGO and work great.

Thanks to Big Ben's wheels the train goes around corners, s-curves, and
switches fine. On the other hand, the leading wheelset clacks when it
goes through a crossover track or over a level crossing.

The front windows are "open" because I ran out of red 1x2x2 windows.

The push rods work.

Oh, you noticed that... Yeah, I cheated. I cut (shudder) a 2-stud long
axle to make two 1-stud long axles to connect the push rods to the
piston rod (I really couldn't think of a work around that would allow me
to use the round bricks/plates as the cylinder and keep the rods lined
up on the center of the cylinder). Sorry.

Thanks,
Chris

--
http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/lego/lego.html