 Announcements / BrickShelf™ / 83
82  |  84
Subject:
Brickshelf Upgrades
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.brickshelf
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 18:25:19 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Over the past week I have been slowly migrating Brickshelf from one server to
three much more capable servers.  The files have been moved to a
SUN E450 with 1/2 TB raid, the database (mysql) has been moved to
another E450 with 2G of ram.  The next step is to move apache and
support programs to a dual 650MHz PIII running FreeBSD.  All of this will
replace the Dual 333MHz PII with 512MB ram that was getting fairly slow,
mostly due to database load.

After moving the database today, there was a remarkable increase in page
response time.  The system is actually fast again!  When the http move
is completed over the next day or so the biggest improvement will be in
thumbnail creation time during upload/reload commands.

I'd like to thank everyone for their patience during this upgrade period.

I would also like to thank http://www.gurunet.net/ Guru Networks, Inc. for
providing bandwith/colo/hardware for the project.  I work for them but the
company management knows exactly what is going on, as they would have to
for a project of this scope.  If anyone knows anyone who works for a
real estate company, and is interested in lowering their costs with a
transaction management system, have them go to the gurunet web page
or send me an email.

I would also like to plug our ISP http://www.minerva.net/ which is
conveniently located across the hall from our office in Chantilly, VA.
They have colo space available at reasonable rates.

KL