 Announcements / BrickShelf™ / 105
104  |  106
Subject:
Brickshelf TOS updated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.brickshelf
Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 01:49:04 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Because of trends that include younger visitors, we have modified the
Brickshelf Gallery Terms of Service (TOS) to additionally prohibit
material that is "in any way inappropriate for minors".

This should affect a tiny fraction of images currently in the gallery,
if any. As before, we may delete material that violates the TOS if
we become aware of it.

While "inappropriate" is a broad and undefined standard, there are
certain elements we feel will always be inappropriate, regardless of
context.  These include depictions of sexual acts or lewd conduct.

In other words, we are raising the standard from "harmful to minors"
to "inappropriate for minors".  We are not doing this to censor
anyones ideas, art or speech, but we feel a desire to keep the Brickshelf
gallery as "Family Friendly" as possible.

We may start another website (completely separate from Brickshelf.com)
that allows a broader range of topics (not just LEGO) and the
older (slightly lower) standard.  That depends on what our
cash flow can support.

Once again, I don't expect this to affect more than a handful
of files. Please *do not* post links here to content you think may
violate this new, higher standard.  Instead, email any concerns to
webmaster@brickshelf.com.

I also want to add that this action was taken without any encouragement,
guidance, or demands by any other party.  Please don't read anything
more into this.