 Announcements / 3586
3585  |  3587
Subject:
The Mercurials comic - New and Improved ;)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2007 14:31:41 GMT

Well, friends, the next episode of "The Mercurials" online sci-fi photo graphic
novel was released last night, and in the last two weeks we've been pretty busy.
You can check it out at <http://www.themercurials.net/episodes>

Not only does Episode 1:3 bring our heroes out of the stasis room they awoke in
and into the corridors of the ship, but they also encounter some hostile
invaders and have a bit of a scuffle.  And, of course, the mystery deepens.

Based on reader feedback and suggestions, we've also made what we hope are some
major improvements in readability.  First, we're now using small character
avatars to represent who's speaking (Thanks for the idea, Travis!).  We've used
them for Episode 1:3 and also gone back and retrofitted Episode 1:2 as well,
with 1:1 (the first episode) to follow when we get a chance.

Second, we took all the suggestions for improving the navigation system and came
up with what we hope is a good solution all around.  The whole web page no
longer reloads every time you go forward or backward!  That should eliminate a
lot of the scrolling-up-and-down issues.  This solution does require a browser
with Javascript equipped, however, so we've also retained the old system as
well.  Take your pick. (Thanks to Ted, among many others, for pointing out how
annoying scrolling can be.)

But that's not all (I feel like I'm selling ginsu knives here).  We've also
implemented TWO navigation bars, one horizontal and one vertical, and made them
both capable of being dragged and dropped anywhere on the page.  So if you'd
like your navbar at the top left, the bottom, on the sides, wherever, you can
place it where it works best for you.  The new navbars also include clearly
labelled Next and Back buttons (as Nathan suggested) and shows the total number
of slides along with the one you're currently viewing (as requested by Willy).

We'll continue to try to make the comic easy to read.  The positive comments on
the story have been very encouraging, so we want you all to be able to read the
thing without too much hassle. :)

Enjoy! <http://www.themercurials.net/>

--Tom and Nicole Wilson