 Announcements / 3309
3308  |  3310
Subject:
Bricksmith 1.5: The Minifigure Cometh
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2006 01:12:04 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Bricksmith 1.5 adds the following features:
It also fixes the following bugs:
  • Holding option while nudging parts reliably selects the third axis
  • Circumvented problem on Intel iMacs preventing selected parts from being displayed

Minifigures are the life and soul of Lego, so it’s little wonder I’ve always considered the Minifigure Generator one of the noblest features to which an LDraw editor could aspire. Now Bricksmith can give birth to whole metropolises of virtual minifigures!

As one might guess, the Bricksmith Minifigure Generator drew much inspiration from MLCad’s. It even reads the same file for part lists. However, there are several tweaks I hope you’ll appreciate:
  • Part names are displayed in their full form, so you’re never left guessing what a name like “Plain” refers to
  • You can choose the arms, so it’s possible to make a skeleton
  • The dialog remembers the settings from the last time it was open
This release’s new Move and Rotate panels expose to the user the underlying part-manipulation routines I use in my code. The Rotate panel, for instance, allows bricks to be rotated around an arbitrary centerpoint. When one needs such functionality, it’s nice to have, even though I don’t expect it to be used frequently.

Bricksmith requires Mac OS X 10.3 or later, and may be download it at http://bricksmith.sourceforge.net/. It is both Intel and PowerPC native.

Sincerely,
Allen Smith