 Announcements / 3125
3124  |  3126
Subject:
LDraw File Repository version 1.0 released
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.announce
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 04:11:06 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Version 1.0 of the LDraw File Repository is now available:

http://james.magnusviri.com/lego/ldraw_repository/

The repository currently has downloads of files by 5 authors, totaling 362 LDraw
files, 10.7 MB.  Most of the files are available on the authors' sites, but a
few extras not on the authors' websites are included with the repository, so I
believe you can only get them on the site!  :)  The authors are:

Brad Hamilton
Orion Pobursky
Jan Folkersma
William Howard
Jacob Sparre Andersen

Genres of files include:

MOC's: Castle, Train, Monorail, Pirates, Technic, Space, Airplanes, Animals,
City cars and buildings, Houses, Churches, and Palaces.

Official Lego models: Classic Space, Model Team, Racers, Star Wars, Technic,
Trains, and old sets dating back to the 1960's and 1970's.

The site also links to the other major LDraw authors that I know of:

Mladen Pejic
Damien Guichard
("Primus") Burkhard Schloemer
Bryce Rollins
"Koyan"
"Mutant-Manfred"
"mdublade"
Ahui Herrera
W.R Jörgen Andersson

Those files are not hosted on my site either because the authors did not return
my request to host them, choose not to, or I didn't have time to contact them.
If you have files you would like listed on the site, or a link to your site
posted, then please prepare everything you would like and send it to me.

Now, about the future of the repository.  I am not planning on pursuing more
authors to add more files.  I am hoping authors will wrap up their stuff and
send it to me and I can add it.

But the real future of the repository is on ldraw.org in the form of a database.
Right now there is only talk about doing this but hopefully it will take off.
Some of the ideas include getting Brickshelf.com and BricksOnTheBrain.com to add
something to their databases to make it easier to find LDraw files.  Another
idea is having automatic file notifications using RSS, email, or webpage post
with the goal of making it easy for website administrators to automatically
notify the database of new or updated ldraw files on the website, and also to
make it so that users can receive notifications of the new or updated files.  I
picture this kinda like the LDraw library of parts, except it would be models
built by the community.  Those are just some of the cooler ideas.

Anyway, the discussion about the repository future is on this thread:

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=10386

Check it out and please post there if you have comments!