 Announcements / 2951
2950  |  2952
Subject:
Introducing the LEGO Fan Committee and BrickPortal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 01:24:23 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

There have been a number of posts lately about different organizations, and how these entities are operated. LEGO Fan has been brought up quite a bit as well, and since we recently re-launched the site, we thought it was worth reiterating our goals and our long term vision.

LEGOfan.org is a web site owned and operated by a 501c Non-Profit organization called BrickPortal, L.L.C, registered in the state of Delaware. BrickPortal was started to help preserve the goals of LEGO Fan, as well as to setup a formal structure to ensure that LEGO Fan continues to be fan-run, fan-owned, and a positive influence on the community.

BrickPortal has obtained written permission from TLG (the LEGO Group) to use the LEGO (trademark) in our domain name. TLG still owns the rights to the domain name. We are currently the only fan-site who has this permission.

Our Mission Statement:

LEGOfan.org will provide an in-depth, ever-changing resource that brings together fans online and offline, while providing a clear and easily digestible picture of and introduction to the entire LEGO community landscape.

This site will focus on bringing users closer together, increasing visiblity of fans sites and projects, and a tighter integration of the LEGO.com site and the fan sites, as well as the LEGO Group.

Current Organizing Committee Board Member List:

Geoff Gray (President of BrickPortal, L.L.C.)

Richard Morton (primary developer and admin of the LEGOfan.org website)

Shaun Sullivan (Chief Financial Officer of BrickPortal L.L.C.)

Scott Costello (member of Operations committee)

Joe Meno (Media/Press secretary for LEGO Fan)

Jake McKee (TLG Representative)

The BrickPortal charter is set to always include at least one member who is an employee of TLG. This member will act as a liason, and will be a voting member of the group. They will not, however, have authority to make any decisions without majority consent of the rest of the board members.

We also have a wonderful cast of characters helping on specific tasks to keep the project running.

The current committee (listed above) is meeting regularly to help expand the services our site offers, and to find new ways of helping out the community.

We have internally created many positions that are defined in the charter filed in our Letter of Incorporation. These positions will insure LEGO Fan runs smoothly over the long term. If an individual decides to back down, the position will be filled by a new member. The committee also has exclusive rights (by majority rule)to vote ANYONE off of the committee, including the TLG representative. This allows LEGO Fan to keep control of the direction and not allow TLG to take over this site. It also allows us to re-evaluate the committee at any time.

All of this has been setup so that we can act in the best interests of the community at large, which includes the AFOLs and the adults and children who are new to the community. We will see many changes as we move forward, but we will always embrace the core philosophy that our organization exists to help others and to provide a means of tying the community together. If anyone has questions, please feel free to reply to this thread. We are adding an email feedback feature to our site and will post information about that as soon as it is ready.

Sincerely, The LEGO Fan Organizing Committee