 Announcements / 2288
2287  |  2289
Subject:
E Harshbarger at N'tnl Toy Hall of Fame, 15-16 Nov
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.announce
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:29:57 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi all,

Just a note to say that I will be at the Strong Museum this weekned in
Rochester, NY. Here is the (copied and pasted) text of the associated
press release:

“Adventures in Toyland” Weekend
at Strong Museum November 15 & 16

ROCHESTER, New York—Toy around at “Adventures in Toyland” at Strong
Museum Saturday,
November 15 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Sunday, November 16 from
12:00 noon to
5:00 p.m. when the museum celebrates the induction of two new toys into
the National Toy Hall of Fame®.
(A formal announcement of the two newest toy inductees will be made at
Strong Museum on Friday,
November 14.)

Meet and greet strolling National Toy Hall of Fame® inductees from past
years, including a
costumed Raggedy Ann™, an Etch A Sketch®, a Lego® brick, and a Crayola®
Crayon. Test your hula
hooping skills, stop by the Crayola Crayon zone to create a colorful
sun-catcher, have your face painted like
Raggedy Ann, and much more. Nationally-renowned Lego and Etch A Sketch
artists will be at work,
creating one-of-a-kind masterpieces right before your eyes!

At the entrance to the hall, a giant Etch A Sketch screen will project a
montage of toy jingles,
commercials, and photographs highlighting each of the 28 toy
inductees—including the two newest
additions. Relax on a giant Play-Doh® stool and immerse yourself in toy
memories; or reminisce about
playtimes past when you visit the nearby display of famous toys from the
1950s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.

See a three-foot Crayola Crayon box (and crayons) made entirely of Lego
bricks created especially
for the National Toy Hall of Fame® by artist Eric Harshbarger. The
Auburn, Alabama artist will sculpt a
Lego parrot and other Lego brick creations while answering questions
from museum visitors. Harshbarger,
whose works have appeared on NBC’s Today show makes his
living building Lego sculptures and mosaics, including a fully
functional Grandfather clock, the Manhattan
skyline, a giant Mona Lisa mosaic and even a twelve-foot tall replica of
the Eiffel
Tower. To see samples of his work, visit
http://www.ericharshbarger.org/lego.

Etch A Sketch artist Tim George (whose motto is, “Shake my hand, not my
work!”) will also be at
the museum, creating incredibly detailed Etch A Sketch masterpieces.
George has created an Etch A Sketch
Strong Museum logo as well as a teddy bear portrait for Strong Museum’s
National Toy Hall of Fame®. He
will reveal the secret to “freezing” the Etch A Sketch image as he
“sketches” an original new work of art.
He will also display his Etch A Sketch masterpieces, which include
people, comic characters, national
monuments, famous buildings and animals. George has appeared on Good
Morning America and been
written about in USA Today. His work is featured in the book Looking at
Animals with Mr. Etch A Sketch®.

To learn more about Strong Museum and The National Toy Hall of Fame® visit
www.strongmuseum.org.
Strong Museum, conveniently located in Downtown Rochester’s East End
neighborhood, is the nation’s leading
hands-on history center for children and families.
Hours: Monday–Thursday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; Friday, 10:00 a.m. to
8:00 p.m.;
Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; Sunday, 12:00 noon to 5:00 p.m.
Admission: Adults $7.00; Seniors and students with ID $6.00; Children
(2–17) $5.00; Children younger than two
free; Strong Museum members free. Special reduced admission, greeting,
and group orientation available to booked
adult groups of twenty or more.
Information: 585-263-2700 Events Line: 585-263-2702 TDD: 585-423-0746
Website: www.strongmuseum.org
Bill Gray’s at the Skyliner Diner: Monday–Saturday, open regular museum
hours.
Sunday, 11:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Louie’s Sweet Shoppe: Opens at 12:00
noon Monday through Friday; 11:00 a.m.
on Saturday; 12:00 noon on Sunday.