 Announcements / 2033
2032  |  2034
Subject:
Dagada Lautem Houses
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 17:22:50 GMT

Hi all,

A very long time before I became a member of LUGNET, I built these Dagada
Lautem houses. I got most of the idea first from a computer game, then from
an Indonesian-style architecture book. One of the pictures in that folder is
a shot from the book.

Here's the link: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=39049

The Dagada Lautem tribe, on the island of Timor, construct these type of
houses. Some of these houses now have masonry plinths, featuring some of the
Portugese influence that came in the 17th century. I think the ladders are
not only to let the people get to the top of the platform, but can be pulled
up in case of a flood or some ground-level problem such as a hungry carnivore.

Thanks.

LMKWYT

Cheers (*clink*)

Dean