 Announcements / 2005
2004  |  2006
Subject:
BimP 2.0 Update!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:06:40 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Many of you may have noticed or read that BimP has been down for the past
couple of weeks.  Well, today I am happy to announce that the new BimP 2.0
beta is now online for your review. With this new version, BimP makes
server, cosmetic, feature, and mission changes.  BimP is now powered by a
sophisticated content management system that has allowed us to add wonderful
new features.

Mission changes include:
* A larger focus on the building brick community rather than just advanced
LEGO designs.
* A new focus on news and articles - BimP will search the web and locate
breaking news and articles from magazines, newspapers, and websites and
provide links to them.
* Toons - Ton's toons are one of our most popular features.  They will
become more integral to our content.  Of course you will still find them in
the Toons area and archive, but they will also appear within other areas as
well.
* Links Page now entitled "Reading List" - TJ Avery suggested this wonderful
idea.  BimP Editors will scour the net looking for the best the web has to
offer for building brick fans.  When selected, the creators of these pages
will be awarded the coveted "BimP Recommended Reading" logo to display
proudly on their pages. BimP will also provide a short review of the link.
* BimP Accounts - BimP accounts (free!) will allow users access to areas not
available to the general public.  Stop by and create your account today.
* More reader interaction - Our new content management system makes it easy
for the BimP staff to stay in touch with our readers.  We want to encourage
more interaction concerning our content and foster idea exchange.  At the
end of most articles, reviews, and news readers can now discuss the content.
* More reader submissions - Readers with BimP accounts can now make
submissions directly from our web site.  If you have an article, model, tip,
or link to submit, you can do it directly from our web site.  If accepted
may become a member of the BimP submissions team.  Your name will appear
with your submission as the author or contributor.
* BimP Friends Program - Non-Profit and personal sites that provide a link
to BimP can now become a BimP Friend. Site owners submit their 88x31 logo
and we will include into our revolving random logos that appear on the right
side of each page.  This is a great way for BimP readers to locate your
site.  Member registration is required.
* Commercial Advertisements - Advertising space is now available at
extremely reasonable fees.  Ads will only be accepted for sites that are
relevant to the building brick community and must be family friendly
products. BimP is still a charityware site and it is hoped that commercial
ads will continue to provide funds to the FG Syndrome Family Alliance.

Below is a list from our "new feature" department:
* New look - BimP now has a new logo along with a new layout.
* Dynamic menuing system - New articles and categories automatically update
the menu, index, and the new site map.
* New BimP Boards - Not as full featured as our previous boards, but still
provides the same functionality.  BimP still recommends LUGNET as the number
one site on the Internet for fan interaction.  BimP boards will be used
mainly to receive feedback from our readers.
* New Polls area - Provide feedback to the BimP staff.  Be sure to answer
our first poll.  You will also have the option to discuss the polls.

Below you will find a list from the "some things never change" department:
* Editorials
* Reviews
* Toons
* Models
* Tips and Tricks
* 20 Questions (Now a separate area)

Below is a list from our "bear with us" department:
* Content from the old version of BimP will slowly begin to trickle into the
new version.
* Some pages are still being refined and the design may seem inconsistent
* New Search tool coming soon - Find your favorite BimP content even faster
(not online)
* Major new content (20 Questions, Articles, Reviews) will not appear for a
few more weeks.
* For the PDA readers, never fear, BimP will be back in a new improved PDA
version, but the specifics and technical aspects will take a little longer
to work out.

We hope that all of you enjoy the new BimP features and the new direction.
We look forward to hearing your feedback.

"Keep on Building"

Steven B. Combs, Publisher
Bricks in my Pocket (BimP)
http://www.bricksinmypocket.org