 Animation / 763
Re: floating/jumping/flying models?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 20:32:16 GMT

In lugnet.animation, Joe Strout wrote:
How do stop-motion animators make models that are in mid-air on certain • frames?
I can imagine suspending the model with a thread and then scrubbing the • thread
out digitally, but (1) that's a lot of work, and (2) the model wouldn't • be very
stable, making it hard to position properly.  What other techniques do • people
use?

Thanks,
- Joe

P.S. This is my first LUGNet post, so please be gentle!

There are a few different tricks that you can use.  One is the string • trick that
you mentioned above.  I've never had much luck with it myself.

A second trick is to build some sort of supporting structure that is • behind your
object, away from the camera, that ties into your background somehow. • I've done
this with claymation before, using a wooden dowel.  Basically, the dowel • sticks
into the model on the back, and then into the backdrop.  Because it is • behind
the model, away from the camera's view, it looks like the object is • suspended in
mid-air.  If I get some time tonight, maybe I'll put together a Lego-ized
version of this and post it somewhere as an example.

A third trick that I've heard about is to film the object on glass.  I'm • not
sure exactly how it works, but I think you would probably put the camera • on the
ground, pointed up, with the glass over it, and then lay your model on • it's
side, against the glass.  When filmed, the object looks like it is • right-side
up, and flying through the air.  This would be similar to the old trick of
making it look like an actor is climbing a wall by having them crawl • across the
floor in front of a tilted camera.

There are probably others, but those are the ones that I am familiar with. • Hope
that helps!

-Elroy

In the digital age we do it as follows:

1) Should a frame of the scene without the flying object.
2) Animate the object, supported by whatever you need (a stack of 1x1s is
usually sufficient, but I also used complex Technic structures in my most
recent movie)
3) Open both pictures in a picture editor; load the first as background, the
second as foreground (layers) and erase the support. Be careful with
shadows.

Stefan.