 Animation / 462
Re: New animation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 23:44:02 GMT

In lugnet.publish.cinema, Huw Millington writes:
A friend at work found this:

http://www.neo-modus.com/stuntpeople/films/films.php?filmname=legolution

I don't think it's been mentioned here before (at least, lugnet search
doesn't find any matches). It's quite amusing in places...

Huw

as a Brickfilmer myself *cough* award winning brickfilmer *cough* ;)
(regular hangout, for those interested, is brickfilms.com and it's
assiciated forum) I really find it a joy to come across lego-films that have
come from outside the brickfilms.com community, "fresh blood" as it were...
it's always an exciting find. so thanx HUW for posting this :)

like I said, the brickfilms.com community is "the" gathering place for
lego-directors (honestly I'm NOT trying to sound like an add for the place)
so I posted a link to this film there too...
copy/pasted below is the review I wrote and posted for the rest of the
brickfilers.

"legolition"

filmed with a camcorder, so the frame rate on most of the stop-mo is pretty
chunky.... (think drunken farmner ben's battles) not BAD, just "chunky"...
it also features lots of live action stuff, but unlike "gta" it was shot out
doors so the enviroment provided lits of interesting stuff to look at, and
even during the dialouge (subtitle/speech baloon hybrid thingys, no actual
voices) scenes, where the figs were still... it still managed to be less
boring than gta's still frame style, because there was still stuff moving in
the enviroment it didn't look like a still frame, just people standing very
still talking to each other (plus the fact they didn't do it for minutes on
end, just brief moments - sorry if it sounds like I'm directly comparing
this film with GTA, it's just that they use similar techniques, look at the
car race scene to see more similarties.

****** spoiler laced review******************

well, the first minute of the film didn't seem to have much (anything) to do
with the rest of the film, that said, I'm glad it was there, because it
showed a lovely image of a caveman spearfishing next to a REAL body of
water, with RAIN, and much to my surprise (and delight) the gaps between
stopmotion frame grabs didn't ruin the rippling effect on the water (well
not to the horrible extent I was expecting) it actually comes off reasonably
nice for the most part.
there was some jarring differences between shots inside the cave with the
(once again) REAL camp fire (I had horrible visions of melting cavemen-figs
... they were sitting a little to close for comfort, seemed to survive it
thogh... untill...) the final gag in this scene actually made me laugh out
loud  fart gags are almost ALWAYS funny.

now we jump to the "present day" with nary-a-subtitle to clue us in...
jumping right into a one-on-one car race that is actually filmed quite
nicely (though with less reguard for physics than GTA had.... and more
obvious strings too)
good use of push-ins and panns, all the kind of nice camers movements you
rarely see around here because it's quite difficult to do smoothly in stop-mo.
the stop-mo parts themselves, as I mentioned before, are of quite a low
framerate, so it's a little distracting, BUT this is one of the best
"filming outdoors in sunlight" stop-mo examples I've seen, there is very
little "tree jumping" (the wind causing the tree branches (and the like) to
move dramatically between frames), and very little "shadow dancing" too
(caused by changes in sun and cloud movement)
I guess they were just lucky to film on an "enviromentally stable" day.
the helecopter annoyed me slightly... filmed in live action, but no reguard
wi actually spinning the propeller was made.
the screen overlay from the "copter-cam" was a nice touch though.
some of the editing in this section of the movie is a little poor, and
generally jarring, but it's bareable.
the crash was well done, and once again a screen overlay was used to good
effect, the style of it, and it's quick fade-in really made you feel like
you were watching a televised race.
the racer waving away the doctor and flipping his own car over, giving it a
quick couple of bangs with a hammer, and flipping it up again really made me
giggle... not sure why exactly, it just seemed so bizzare, yet acceptable at
the same time.
the end... well the building the flag waver's standing on flails about madly
during said flag waving, but aside from that, we get closure, the story
(such as it is) resolves nicely, a guy wins, there is carnage from the
crash, and the "evil bike guy" resolves to "get him next time"

the music... erk.... saying it was a bit "retro" is an understatement.
the rest of the sound effects were nice though, well chosen, and well timed.

and the "behind the scenes stuff" over the credits was a nice little
addition too, once again, not something you see to much of around here,
because animating stuff you're not going to use, or didn't end up using, is
just bad planning in pre-production.... but with a camcorder, filming "live"
you ofcourse get the extra stuff that's edited out later.

******* end of the spoiler-astic fun******************

all in all, WELL worth a look, at 6.3 MB for the mpeg (the film's 2.40 ish
long (seemes to be packed with so much action it felt longer)) on a fast
server, go check it out now!

/ end copy-paste

if you want to see MY stuff, check it at
www.geocities.com/Different_wings
"Bluntmation"

Cheers Nate "Bluntman" Burr