 Animation / 442
Re: Lego Studios and Windows XP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:26:29 GMT

In lugnet.general, Roy Mesler writes:
In lugnet.general, Todd Thuma writes:
Does anyone have any experience installing the Studios Software on a Windows XP
machine? Is there updates for the new Operating system on LEGO's web site or do
you get it from the Pinnacle Systems web site?

Also, isn't there a mode in XP that will allow you to install programs without
XP drivers and updates?

Todd-I'm having the same problems you are, and since no one has responded to
your post, I decided to try cross-posting to lugnet.publish.cinema as well.

Any and all help would be appreciated since the support on the LEGO site
only mentions up to Windows 2000.  Thanks!

-Roy

This problem is quite common, and there is a solution. The trouble lies with
the way XP installs the camera: it is recognised as a standard Logitech
webcam, and consequently Studios does not find it. There was a way around it
by editing the registry, but unfortunately I no longer have the exact
information available.

Here's roughly what to do: start regedit, and search for the LEGO Studios
folder (try searching for 'Studios' first, or for 'LEGO' first, I don't know
what it's called). Look through the keys and locate a key specifying the
name of the camera. That key should be changed to the name the camera is
known under now. This name can either be found in the registry or in the
'Hardware' dialog under 'My Computer'. Experiment with it: you're only
changing entries for the Studios software, so you cannot harm any other program.

Semi-final note: I don't own Studios, nor do I work with XP, so I cannot
give you the exact keys. If anyone succeeds, please post a message like
"Change HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/LEGO/Blah../Cam to 'Logitech QuickCam
Blah'". Good luck, everyone!

Final note: there's other, better software available for stop-motion
animation. Go "shopping" at Thomas Foote's website: he provides links to
lots of free software that, when combined, get much more quality out of your
cam! This website is http://www.bricksinmotion.com/

Stefan.