 Ambassadors / 87
86  |  88
Subject:
Can Ambassadors help contact Japanese AFOLdom?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 03:24:00 GMT

I’m trying to organize LEGO events at the upcoming World Science Fiction Convention, or Worldcon, known this year as “Nippon2007” and to be held in Yokohama, Japan. Problem: I have no idea how to contact the movers and shakers in Japanese AFOLdom. Can the Ambassadors help? I hope you don’t mind my asking, here.

There’s a well-developed AFOL community spanning North America and Europe, but to my knowledge, it doesn’t cross the Pacific Ocean. Mostly we know of Japanese builders through Brickshelf galleries, and those don’t help in contacting.

Part of the goal of “Nippon2007”, as the first Worldcon held in Japan, is to forge links between Japanese SF&F fandom and that of the rest of the world. AFOLdom might as well piggyback, IMHO.

There are LUGs in Japan, but the websites I’ve found for them are very stale. (I should probably try emailing them in English, just to see what happens.) There’s been a Japanese branch of TLG since the 1990s. Has it done any community development on the scale we’re familiar with? Anybody know?

The Fourth Cycle Ambassadors List (at http://news.lugnet.com/ambassadors/) shows 21 total -- 9 NorAm including 7 USA, 10 Europe including Great Britain, and 2 Asia-Oceania. None are a perfect match for my needs, but the privileged position of Ambassadors might make them “people who know people.” So I’m hoping.

Thank you.