 Ambassadors / 85
Re: LEGOfan - is it dead?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 18:17:05 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.ambassadors, Todd Thuma wrote:
   Ambassadors,

So is LEGO Fan Dead?

Hi Todd,

LEGOFan is currently offline due to a disk drive problem which took down the RAID array. We’ve been working with Eric at Northstar Computers to get it fixed, but it looks like the drive(s) are hosed at a low level, and require a clean install. Unfortunately, the backups for the machine are incomplete, and it appears that most if not all of the content has been lost.

This has prompted some discussion among the LEGOFan team about how to proceed. In a way, this is kind of a blessing in disguise... we’re now planning on installing new operating system software which we think will help us better utilize existing software and skillsets in the community. In plain English - we’re moving from Windows to Linux, and installing PHP and mySQL, which are widely used on web servers. There’s quite a bit of software available using this platform. We found that while Windows/IIS using DotNetNuke as a portal solution did allow us to provide some services, it was more restrictive than we had initially thought.

I’m currently working with some volunteers to get the machine back up and running, get the new operating system installed (probably CentOS), and get at least a small placeholder site up until we get the new site going.

We’ll be revisiting the overall focus of the site, and what functions should be included. Interestingly, it looks as if forums will take a lesser role, and document repository / news / portal functions will take more of a highlight. There are some in-depth discussions going on with LEGO right now about the types of things they’d find useful, as well as input from others about what they’d like to see in LEGOFan. And of course I have my own ideas. It’ll be interesting to see exactly what comes of it all, but I’m looking forward to it. Through it all, we’ll be trying to engage the community with feedback and suggestions and help. I’d like to see transparency in how it’s managed.

I’d like to thank everyone who has so far been involved with LEGOFan (hi Janey), and I’m hoping the enthusiasm will continue once we get up and running again. Third time’s a charm!

Oh, and if anyone’s wondering why I’m the one answering, rather than Geoff Gray... I’m the new president of Brick Portal LLC, taking over from Geoff, who’s continuing with the group in an advisory capacity. We were holding off on an announcement until things were more stable, but heck, who knows when that might happen? So... here I am.

Kelly

P.S. changing FUT to .general, since this isn’t really an Ambassador thing...