 Adventurers / 259
258  |  260
Subject:
Greatest Adventurer Books
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 07:42:22 GMT

Mark wrote:

  I would have to say that Jules Verne, Joseph Conrad, and Sir Arthur
  Conan
  Doyle turned in some heavy weights in that category.  How about the
  rest of you?

H Rider Haggard sets a high standard for Adventure yarns.
I would posit that Alan Quatermain is the blueprint for all the
other wannabees: Indiana Jones, Johnny Thunder etc
The 1980's film is a real cheesefest.  Highly recommend the book.
Lots of stuff is appearing as e-text, so no excuse for not reading!

Vintage comic books contain hysterically prototypical Adventure yarns, although
the portrayal of the natives would raise eyebrows now.
--> I do not think Lego will do an African adventure.  Say no more!

I can't think of any anything else, would like to hear of more book
suggestions.

Anyway, here is a glimpse into the home life of the Adventurers:

   Professor {KILROY} slit open a page of the magazine with a bone
   paper-knife and the intent reverence of the bibliophile.

   `Beyond all question,' he said, `it is a tenable hypothesis. I allude
   to the hypothesis which I understand you to entertain, that our
   civilization is not or may not be an advance upon, and indeed (if I
   apprehend you), is or may be a retrogression from states identical
   with or analogous to the state of the Zulus. Moreover, I shall be
   inclined to concede that such a proposition is of the nature, in some
   degree at least, of a primary proposition, and cannot adequately be
   argued, in the same sense, I mean, that the primary proposition of
   pessimism, or the primary proposition of the non-existence of matter,
   cannot adequately be argued. But I do not conceive you to be under the
   impression that you have demonstrated anything more concerning this
   proposition than that it is tenable, which, after all, amounts to
   little more than the statement that it is not a contradiction in
   terms.'

   {JOHNNY THUNDER} threw a book at his head and took out a cigar.

G.K.Chesterton - The Club of Queer Trades

--
Liam.
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/liamp/