 Administrative / Terms of Use / 549
Re: Mr. Jeeves
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:37:22 GMT

In lugnet.admin.terms, Ted Michon wrote:

   John-

Are these “for sale” posts to be forbidden too?
  • Every time someone posts a description of a new LEGO set including its price and specifying the first day of sale and even saying where to buy it? (Hmmm, let’s also eliminate those Shop @ Home specials and all annoucements of sales at Target!)

Perhaps a determining factor is who potentially stands to profit from the announcement-- the poster or the reader.

  • Every time Eric H. reports on his latest amazing project (by implication, a sales announcement)?

The key word is “implication”. In this instance, his solicitation was in no uncertain terms-- the very reason for the post.

  • Every time an LTC announces an event and lists the admission price?

No.

None of your examples nearly equate with Eric’s post. I admit that the lines can effectively be blurred by clever posters, and so gentle admonitions should be used to curb this behavior, lest the creeping tide of NG dilution create an RTL quagmire.

Merrily mixing metaphors,

JOHN