 Administrative / Terms of Use / 386
Re: Bionicle Avatar pictures flooding BrickShelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 19:53:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.general, Michael Edwards writes:
Forwarded to lugnet.general

Um, why?

That is, why forward this particular post rather than making a statement
along the lines of "hey general readers, there's a discussion that you ought
to read and it starts here [cite to head of tree]" ??

Should everyone forward posts THEY agree with to .general? That way lies
madness.

You may not think this topic belongs in off-topic.debate (the ideal group
for it would be lugnet.brickshelf.terms if such a group existed but it
doesn't) but that doesn't mean it belongs in .GENERAL !!!

Lugnet is compartmentalised for a reason, please respect that.

<snip>

FUT admin.terms

I guess his opinion on the matter is different. All posts are not always
going to be shunted to the optimal topic header and that's OK. All the
moderation, curating, good intentions or FREAKING OUT in the world is going
to change that.

If it had been done thoughtlessly or lazily, that would be something to
possibly point out (without quite so much preaching.) Compartmentalization
has a price paid in flexibility and perhaps ease of use. All addressable in
time. Things improve.

I think compartmentalization in moderation is good. For example, I'm
thankful that .debate has a place where it can go on (and on) without
impinging on the rest of the body of messages. In moderation. Excessive
granularity of topics would be just as deadening as no topic definitions at all.

I think we all have the continued good health of Lugnet at heart.