 Administrative / Suggestions / 980
Re: Geobra Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.people
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 05:02:32 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Tim Courtney wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Alfred Speredelozzi wrote:
   The reason I called everyone homophobic (granted, it was an hyperbole--no one is actually threatening gay AFOLs, that I have seen) is because I think people are overreacting to Teddy’s request. Many have assumed there is going to be some Lugnet.gay discussion group formed, and they want to stop it. Well, that wasn’t even proposed!

Calling people homophobic as hyperbole is in my opinion really irresponsible PC mudslinging. It doesn’t add anything constructive to the discussion, it just labels people as haters in a really careless way.

-Tim

I don’t think hyperbole is careless. It makes an important point. I think many of the opponents of this idea are haters of homosexuality. I don’t think that they are such haters that they are willing to forego normal human decency. However, they are haters none-the-less. They would rather find rationalizations to try and opress homosexuals, and I think what they are doing is wrong.

Just because people are civilly discriminatory, does not make it correct. Using hyperbole is a well accepted form of discorse that helps to show--by making far stronger points--what kind of wrong is being done.

I am honestly dissapointed, Tim, to find out which side of the issue you are on.

-Alfred