 Administrative / Suggestions / 967
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 23:15:03 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Edward Welsh wrote:
I've been kicking an idea around for a while, and I wanted to put it out to the
community:  I'd like to start an organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and
transgendered (LGBT) AFOLs.  A lavender brick society, if you like.

I'm disappointed by the amount of negative and sarcastic posts generated by this
one simple request - a request to have a place to interact with others who have
similar aptitudes and experiences. Obviously, as referenced in the initial post,
it would be LEGO-related, and as such is perfectly valid to request within the
largest AFOL online "home".

If this were another type of group - say, cancer-surviving LEGO enthusiasts - I
doubt there would be such a strong negative reaction. Just something to think
about.

- Kelly

Kelly, many people did think about this and explained so in their posts.  I
would ask the same thing - what does being a cancer survivor and Lego have to do
with each other?  I think it's an off-topic post, or maybe it deserves its own
web site if whatever group in question feels it is important enough and needed
to serve that group.  Maybe the question should be, why shouldn't there be an
independent GLBTI? Lego web site?