 Administrative / Suggestions / 767
766  |  768
Subject:
link labels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 22:36:48 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Wayne Gramlich wrote:
Unfortunately, the design of FTX is somewhat flawed when it comes to
standard news and mail readers.  Enclosing a URL in angle brackets <...>
is a hint to most news/mail readers that a long URL that spans more than
one line should be reassembled by compressing out any whitespace.

Have you seen a news/mail reader that actually implements that behavior?
I don't believe that behavior is even defined in any RFC, is it???
I've heard about line-joining before, but only with the notation

   <URL:url>

There is essentially no chance that mail/news readers will ever switch
over to FTX conventions.   The most prudent coarse of action would be
to modify to FTX to peacefully coexist with standard mail/news readers.

But it was designed to peacefully coexist that already.

Since I do not know who designed FTX,

It came out of talks in lugnet.admin.general and lugnet.faq in 1999.

I have no idea how feasible it is to modifiy the FTX specification to
correct this problem.

Changing it wouldn't really be feasible, unless there were some real issues
with mail/news clients interpreting the links incorrectly.

--Todd