 Administrative / Suggestions / 765
764  |  766
Subject:
link labels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 22:19:36 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I'm guessing that Chris must be receiving the post either via news or mail,
rather than over the web interface. This sort of confusion does seem to be
on the upswing now... not sure whether anything can actually be done to
remediate it. (all the URLs are indeed legal as written, the material after
the space is their identifying or displaying tag in FTX...)

Most people probably aren't used to seeing links written as

   <http://www.lego.com/ The Official LEGO Website>

so some slight bit of education might be appropriate...but on the other hand
I tend to think that most people also won't give it a second thought (if they
even notice in the first place), since the human-readable text portion often
readily stands out as such, especially with automatic link display in a good
modern newsreader.

How many people noticed my sneaking FTX into this old post back in 1999?--

   http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=9741

I think it's readily obvious even in the raw version

   http://news.lugnet.com/news/raw.cgi?lugnet.general,9741

that the label text (or comment about the URL) is separate from the URL.

--Todd