 Administrative / Suggestions / 480
479  |  481
Subject:
.football to .sports in lue of TLG's expansion of the line.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 04:18:08 GMT

Hello!

First off, I would like to wish Suz a great wedding.  Thanks to Todd for
picking up the slack while Suz is planning her special day. Thanks to both
of you for creating an managing Lugnet!  Ok!  I know becuase of Suz being
busy that this should wait but I feel I need address it while the issue is
hot in my mind, and before I forget it. :) I don't want you guys to bother
with this until you have the time and energy.

We will soon have Basketball shooting minifigs! Lego has publicly announced
that Basketball is the next round of subthemes in the Sports line.  So now
for my suggestion (which is why I am here): how about changing the .football
group into the .sports group and rechartering, of course, to promote any
sports discussion.

Some of my main auguements for this suggestion are:

The lugnet hirearchy (sp?) is getting huge.  Please note that I am not
against the a-group-for-each-theme standard Suz has used, I like it in fact,
but the Football and Basketball lines are like the Pirates and Imperial
Gaurd lines, they go together.  Therefore I feel they should be in one
newsgroup.  Setting this up now, before Lego introduces more Sports lines,
can be of huge benifit -similar to preparing for the storm before it hits.

A .sports as a whole could open up wider discussion possibilities.  As noted
in this post, http://news.lugnet.com/football/?n=257, Sean found a place for
his sports related post.  Though it is possible that he didn't know that the
group title, .football, refered to soccer, (due to the different
international naming of the sport) he still posted the MOC in a logical
place - a place where minifig sport enthusiasts post.  As we prepare for a
new wave of interest in the sports line, why not create a place where all
sports enthusiasts can go a share ideas?

Finally, without a home for the Basketball theme, as seen a week and a half
ago, .general takes the blow.  It would have been nice to have seen the
extra posts pushed into thier own newsgroup - but there was none.

Thanks for listening!

Jeremy