 Administrative / Suggestions / 168
167  |  169
Subject:
Attack of the Compartmentalization
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 23:16:01 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
I thought I'd do it this way for a couple of reasons...to show those who do
this how annoying it is when the country isn't mentioned,

Wait...

You did this on purpose, not just by accident, but rather to "prove a point"??

Not sure that was a good idea. If you think there is change needed, there
are channels to suggest it, which may be a better approach than deliberatley
doing things the wrong way in order to stir up controversy. IMHO anyway.

For example you could post to admin.suggestions... the market groups
charters are under discussion of revision as it is and this would be a good
time to make such a change.

Well...I have suggested in the past that this should be done...and been
shouted down about it by US posters...This was the only way of getting my
point across that I could find.

   I'm not sure it would work, though.  I mean, it has a very satisfying
   "tweak" quality, which I appreciate, but annoyance generally provokes
   defiance in those who would be likely to "shout you down."  Those among
   the USians who agree with you (like me, for example) aren't in that
   category to begin with, so you're tweaking the choir.

   (To be fair, I often don't mention the country, but I do mention
   the specifically American geographical context.  A failing, perhaps,
   though if I saw "NSW K-mart sale" I'd know it was Oz.)

and also so those
Ockers who don't look at .loc.au can hear about it.

This is not a good reason. If it were then posting anything to anywhere
would be allowed. And it's not. compartmentalisation means everything has a
place. You may not like that but that's the way it is.

No complaints...though from what I can tell, .market.shopping is the perfect
place for this, and .general seems to be filled with posts that should be in
their specific compartments...

   I'm perfectly in favor of people posting non-US sale notices
   in the general .market groups, but it helps everyone to give it
   some kind of geographical modifier (including those in Oz who
   may have filed "unspecified location" under the heading "US only"
   as you reasonably indict US posters for doing).  Is there even a
   generic .loc.us ng in existence?  Somehow I'd thought it dropped
   directly to the loc.us.state groups.

   <psa>

   Besides, our Kmart SW LEGO sale in the US is 20% off, not 15.  ;)
   (Starts Sunday--go buy now, and then get the money back on Sunday!)

   </psa>

   Also:  "Ockers?"  That's a new one on me.  I learn something new
   every day!

Anyway, according to the following, I don't see any problems with what I did:

lugnet.general– General community discussion of LEGO® sets,... item pricing
and availability, etc. ...

lugnet.market.shopping– Retail, mail-order, and online shopping:
information, ...

   I agree with Ben on this.  Again, I suggest the geographical
   modifier for all parties, just as a way of heading off inevitable
   questions from drooling, sale-happy Lugnetters.

   A question, though:  I thought that .org.au was in part intended
   to give Australia a "mainly Australia" forum for all that information
   that people feared was getting lost in the flood of US and European
   information that dominated the regular .market groups and so forth?
   I'm not in favor of ghettoizing .au there *at all*, because I for one
   realize that .au posters' contribution is disproportionately great
   across LUGNET in quantity *and* quality, but I recall some newsgroup
   designed for that reason. That may be what some folks are thinking
   of in terms of "compartmentalization" for Australian matters--not
   that they want you to go there, but that they thought you'd chosen
   to go there already.  (Correct me if I'm wrong, nameless masses!)

   So in short, I agree 100% with Ben's complaint, but I think it's
   kind of useless to perform the tweak (unless the goal was to raise
   this particular issue for discussion, in which case my hat's off
   to you, good sir).  Other than that, I'm dead tired too, so maybe
   I'm just rambling uselessly as the drool strings off my lower lip.

   all best

   LFB