 Administrative / Suggestions / 1443
Re: Member Link
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 21:48:22 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Duane Hess wrote:
Would it be possible to make it so that the author name is a clickable link
to the member's profile (if applicable)? There are many times when I would
like to find out more about a person, or find their websites. I can search
through the member listing to find their profile, but being able to click
their name directly would be wonderful.

It's quasi-possible.

When a post comes in via the web interface from a logged-in member, a little
"MemberID" is tagged onto the post. Those should be pretty easy to translate.

However, when posts come in from non-logged in members, or from NNTP or SMTP,
I'm not sure the MemberID gets tagged onto the post.

So, from that perspective, you could get it to work ... sometimes.

The other option is to compare the poster's email address to ALL the member
email addresses, and see if you've got a match. If you have a unique match, it's
*probably* a valid association. In some cases it might not be, since email
addresses are occasionally shared, and there's no guarantee that an email
address might have changed hands (it's just incredibly unlikely). (Versus a
logged-in member who is verifiably logged in as one and only one member)

I'm told that Todd never wanted to implement these solutions because they're not
really "good enough". Personally, I'd opt at least for the former, which is at
least a leg up, and is verifiably accurate. Hmmm.

Besides, the member listings are hard
to navigate due to the size. Even on a fast connection it is slow to display.

That's definitely possible. It was fine back when there were 250 members or so,
but now it's just too much. Also needs a member search function.

DaveE