 Administrative / Suggestions / 1170
1169  |  1171
Subject:
Censorship (was Re: Bye, bye LUGNET)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 22:14:26 GMT

Forgot to answer this portion in previous post...

In lugnet.general, Orion Pobursky wrote:
The thing is that some long standing Lugnet members are getting very upset about
getting threatening email regarding what may have been a comment in passing.
This fact alone should tell you that something might be wrong with the way
things are done.

I think we'd all agree the current process is inherently inefficient and
completely human-driven, and appears somewhat arbitrary. Nobody is arguing that
something far better needs to be implemented. Before we do that, we need to
define what SHOULD be done.

If we were to slap a filter in place, that's still "censorship" in people's eyes
and that's the core problem some people seem to have. But if we allow uncensored
language, it creates an atmosphere that's different from what (I believe) is
ultimately wanted here at LUGNET - and I'm sure we'd quietly lose many other
people who just don't want to be around it.

Having had extensive experience with word filters at BZPower, even with the
lengths some people will go to to get around them, I do think that some sort of
replacement filter (at least for the web view) is a good idea. Obviously that
will still spark outrage among people who are dead set against having their
pearls of wisdom altered in any way, but it would level the playing field and
would be quantifiable and even-handed.

Here are a few of the hurdles I think are involved in doing something like this:

- Consensus that this is what needs to happen
- Development environment (which is getting closer)
- Development time / resources

I'd like to see if we can get a list of requested code changes / enhancements
posted sometime, and see where this would fall in importance and ease of
implementation. And if it even would make sense to implement, as that's still
far from decided.

- Kelly