 Administrative / Suggestions / 1023
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 03:36:51 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Dan Boger wrote:
   On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 01:43:58AM +0000, John wrote:
   That’s not the point. What are you saying? That because someone can legally get married at age 16, adult content on LUGNET should be made viewable by a 7 year old? Because a 17 year old knows about same-sex relationships, a 10 year old should be allowed to view graphic conservations about it?

Your whole argument seems to revolve around the idea that LUGNET will now have, or already has, inappropriate “adult content” in the NG. If that is the case, that’s a violation of the TOS:

(do not) Post or transmit any unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, or indecent information of any kind...

And it should be dealt with as such. But that’s not a good reason to change the whole way the site works. Now, if you were advocating to change the TOS to allow such content, that’s a different story - but I don’t think you are advocating that?

So the whole discussion should assume that the TOS is followed. And if it is, where’s the problem? As Dave said:

   Let’s also not forget that as long as the TOS are followed, nothing graphic will ever be posted in .LGBT, or anywhere on LUGNET, for that matter.

Not true. Consider this recent exchange (notice LudiChris’s assertion that virtually nothing is too graphic).

So if you think this is a TOS violation, why don’t you bring it up to the Admins?

Please. Even the poster thought that the subject matter was getting too blue(note his post script), but the admin apparently didn’t.

   Do you not think they would deal with it, if it actually is “vulgar, pornographic... or indecent”?

Well, let’s be clear that the whole matter is entirely subjective anyhow...

   If they Admins disagree with you, though, then you can’t cite it as an example of graphic discussion.

Well, therein lies my point. If the admins do not think that that is pornographic, or vulgar, or indecent, then they may not think that much is. Which leads one to question: with that view, is LUGNET kid-friendly? The admins don’t want to play policeman every day. I know that there is a strong desire not to censure and never to censor. Because frankly, TOS get violated constantly and nothing is done about it. Consider this post. Here the poster calls an admitted gay person the epithet “homo”. That is certainly a TOS violation. Now, you could say that he was being facetious, putting words into someone else’s mouth. Well, that person’s name has been conveniently snipped, but my name appears in the next sentence, as if those words were implied to be mine, which could be taken as libel, which is a TOS violation.

But honestly, I don’t really care about all of that. All I am trying to do is to look at LUGNET and consider its future as to what it is going to be, and how it is going to look to the GP. Does LUGNET hope to grow, to reach out and bring in new FOLs into the fold, or maintain, for the most part, the status quo among current users. And if LUGNET wants to grow, how will it appear to the newcomer? Will it appear squeaky clean, like, say, LEGO.com, or will it have an adult-edge to it: mostly safe for kids but not always, and primarily aimed at adults.

That’s all I’m asking. Because I believe that there is now too much play between the TOS and violations, with little or no desire or time on the part of the admins to police them (and certainly no desire or time on the part of AFOLs to whistleblow), leaving inappropriate adult content in full public view on a supposedly kid-friendly site. I don’t blame the admins for not wanting to take the time to deal with such matters, and so I’m simply offering a solution that would enhance the adult experience of LUGNET, and the kid one as well.

JOHN