 Administrative / Suggestions / 1012
Re: skip-filter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:27:25 GMT

In lugnet.people.lgbt, Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.people.lgbt, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
I'm sorry, but what does a skip-filter have to do with the main message
scroll? If one could skip-filter it, then why would the off-topic forum
be filtered out by the system itself?

.off-topic is only filtered out by default.

You're free to add it back in by changing your personal preferences:

   http://news.lugnet.com/news/filter/

Todd,

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have the skip-filter defaults set to skip
.off-topic, .people, and .loc, since, as you say above, "The 'LEGO-ness' of
[these groups] is somewhat gray".  Then people would always be free to opt in to
such groups, but the default would be to opt out.

While I'm making admin-type suggestions, it might also cool down the more heated
and off-topic discussions if certain forums were automatically downgraded so
they don't appear as readily in the top posts list (in the same way that posts
to .announce.MOC get an automatic upgrade so they appear more readily).  I'd
include .off-topic, .people, .loc, and .admin in this.  If this were
implemented, I would think there would be some way that the admins could
super-vote a topic from .admin if they felt it necessary--e.g. if Todd makes
some announcement there that he thinks we all should read--similar to how
moderators on FBTB or Classic-Castle can "sticky" a post, so it stays at the top
of a given forum where everyone can see it.

Bruce