 Administrative / NNTP / 81
Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 05:02:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
The U.S. may be a big place, but something local to the U.S. is still local,
even if 85% of readers today happen to live in the U.S.

True.

However, since this contest apparently is Some Big Thing and other people
might wanna follow along, there's nothing too bad about crossposting the
announcement of it to .general and setting followups to .loc.us.

Now that is reasonable.

I'm certainly tired of hearing whining like this, [...]

I happen to think he's right!  I think people use .general a bit too often
for stuff that's US-only.  If I lived outside the US, it would really bother
the living snot out of me.

He might be right - I was more venting cause I've read enough of this.  It
bothers the living snot out of US residents who can't get Euro only sets
easily...(and that one's old too).  Guess its just me - I won't apologize for
the way I feel about it, but I can acknowledge that its just me getting
annoyed.

What's a good balance for the use of .general?  Should there be a general.us,
general.eu, general.au...etc??  Would that be a natural extension of a general
interest group, while accomodating specific localities and preventing
bothering the collective snot out of people?  Would that all appropriately
fall under loc, or is loc more events-specific, and general something that
would work too?

-Tim