 Administrative / NNTP / 730
729  |  731
Subject:
Problem with flags in Pine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 17:46:54 GMT

Over the past few days, in at least two groups (.db.inv and .market.theory),
I've noticed that when I leave messages undeleted, but read (that is, not
flagged "new" by Pine) and then come back to the group later, they are flagged
as "new".  This happens both when I simply read the message, and when I
manually mark it read (*!n).  I don't think anyone's sneaked a new version of
Pine on me, and in the past (e.g., last week) I could leave a message in a
group and it would just sit there, read.  In fact, in one of the groups in
question (.db.inv) I do have a message that I had previously read and that is
still unread (that is, it isn't being changed to to new with the other message
I'm keeping in that group).  Is this some new feature/bug at the LUGNet end
(that doesn't seem likely, does it?) or is my Pine just buggy?

The problems with the current situation are a) I can't instantly tell if I've
already read a message and b) when I tab through groups Pine wants to drop me
into each group with a message flagged as new, which is irritating if I've
already read it.

Hmm.  Just tried an experiment.  I tried manually setting the flag on my old
read message in .db.inv to new.  When I came back, that message was once again
flagged as read.  So Pine has decided to ignore changes I make to flags unless
I exclude the message?  Ack.

TWS Garrison