 Administrative / NNTP / 594
Re: The Relationship - LEGO and its Fans (was: Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 19:24:29 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Mark Papenfuss writes:
[...] And as far as the Fort L. set goes -they did not have
to tell us here to sell the sets - and according to Todd, it would have been
more _cool_ and would have had a bigger _buzz_ if we read it on the lego
webpage. That is just plain fiction.

Mark, in the future when you misquote me and completely mischaracterize what
I said and meant, I would really appreciate it if you would be courteous
enough to provide a link to what I actually said.  For example:

   http://news.lugnet.com/admin/nntp/?n=448

What I said was that it is "a lot more genuine buzz when your peers
excitedly draw attention to something outside your newsgroup than if a
company puts it right there in your face."  I didn't say it would be more
cool, I didn't say it would be a bigger buzz, and I didn't say anything
about a LEGO webpage.  I said the buzz would be more genuine.

Ok, I can understand that, but the way I generally parse the sentence is
"a lot more buzz, which happens to be genuine" rather than your intended
parsing of "buzz which is a lot more genuine". Do you see the subtle
difference? If someone seems to be misunderstanding something you wrote
or said, it is generally advisable to first examine what you said before
accusing them of misrepresenting what you said. As Larry has mentioned
several times, real writers write around the problem :-)

Frank