 Administrative / NNTP / 546
Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 22:46:23 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Mark Papenfuss writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Eric Joslin writes:
I'd rather see them restricted.  I'm glad, for
example, that Jake's Train Contest announcement did *not* go in • lugnet.trains,
but rather in lugnet.lego.direct.  I think that's closer to where it belongs
(which is actually lugnet.lego.announce).

eric

Why do feel that that post does not belong in trains? I agree it belongs
where it was posted - but it should also be in trains. I see no reason why
it would not belong in trains... it was about trains and would appeal o the
train people - right? So why keep it out of trains???

I totally disagree.  That post has no place in .trains IMHO.  It was a
marketing post and just like I agree with .market posts not being in the theme
groups I agree that direct LEGO marketing posts don't belong in the theme
groups.

But since when has there been a ban on "marketing" posts in theme groups?  Note
that the post in question does not advertise any buying, selling, trading, or
auctions--which are the activities typically prohibited from theme groups.  The
item being "marketed" is a contest.  How is this different from anyone else
"marketing" (advertising) a contest?  For that matter, how is it different from
advertising a Webpage for a MOC?

True, TLC's purpose behind the contest is to raise awareness of and interest in
Trains, with the ultimate aim of selling more product, but that's second-order.
After all, if Dan Jezek were to add a new feature to Brickbay, would anyone
complain if he mentioned it in .market.services?  The *ultimate* goal of such a
change would be to move more Lego through Brickbay, but announcing the change
(in the forum fitting the topic) would *not* be a pitch or flog (IMHO), and
would be completely appropriate.  Likewise, advertising a free contest, even if
the sponsor hopes to ultimately benefit, seems to fall well within the terms of
use for Lugnet and for .trains.

TWS Garrison