 Administrative / NNTP / 361
Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 01:59:12 GMT

"Gino A. Melone" <gmelone@futurenext.com> writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:
* Add new group lugnet.rave or lugnet.lego.rave?  Why or why not?
  Ditto my comments about .rant.  Plus, I'd recomend a name change.  The term
rave has certain connotations these days.  Connotations which I'm pretty sure
most LUGNETers aren't interested in associating with LUGNET.  I suggest
.praise.

I agree.  But "rant" doesn't really go with "praise" - how about
"whine" instead?  That might also keep people from taking themselves
too seriously when posting there, if they're "whining" instead of
"ranting".

* Delete lugnet.market.auction and lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade and replace
these with lugnet.market.forsale, lugnet.market.wanted, and lugnet.market
.swap?  Why or why not?
  This sounds a lot less confusing.  Someone suggested combining swap/forsale.
I'd disagree.  First, the same logic can be used for combining swap/wanted.
That leads to a single .market group.  If someone wants to sell or swap, let
them cross-post.

In another thread, the term "barter" was proposed for this; I like
that better than "swap".

* Move lugnet.trains.org to lugnet.org.train/ltc/etc., and move
lugnet.castle.org to lugnet.org.castle, and move lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
to lugnet.org.cad.ldraw (or something)?  Why or why not?
  I think a cleaner path to organizations is a good idea.  Although, I'd
recomend against creating generic headers like lugnet.org.train.  I'd go for
lugnet.org.ltc, lugnet.org.cw/castleworld.  The terms castle and train (and
such) are too generic in the LEGO community to be aquired by a single group.
Other castle, train, etc groups with a different focus may develop and
shouldn't be out-in-the-cold as it were.

I'm concerned about using "ltc" because someone who is new to Lugnet
might not recognize the acronym.  How about "train-club"?

--Bill.

--
William R Ward        hermit@bayview.com      http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."-Groucho Marx