 Administrative / NNTP / 357
Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 07:58:36 GMT

* Delete lugnet.market.auction and lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade and • replace
  these with lugnet.market.forsale, lugnet.market.wanted, and • lugnet.market
  .swap?  Why or why not?

No problem with having a separate .wanted and .swap, but I'd like to
preserve a distinction between "fixed price" sales and auctions (and other
non-fixed price sales) for a number of reasons.

Auctions postings are mostly just pointers to other places (e.g. ebay),
whereas the "for sale" postings are often the "primary" point of sale. Also,
there are many people who are comfortable with buying at a fixed price but
not comfortable with auctions. Finally, both of these groups are so big
already that a single .forsale group would be too large anyway.

* How much and what type of flogging would you like to see in .loc groups?
  None?  Some?  Anything goes?  Only certain types?  Why or why not?

Whether it's a .loc group or a .theme group, I can't see the harm in having
.loc.wherever.forsale or .theme.auction newsgroups created if there is a
demand. It seems logical that castle enthuasiasts may wish to see
castle-related auctions, just as it seems reasonable that Japanese
enthuasiasts may wish to buy and sell among themselves. The only "golden
rule" I'd like to see is that commercial activity and non-commercial
activities have separate groups, so we can each choose if we want the
commercial stuff.

* Axe regional subgroups of lugnet.loc.xx and field requests for new
  subgroups on a country-by-country basis -- let them grow organically?
  Why or why not?

As I primary read/post in .loc.au, I am definitely more in favour of letting
the .loc groups grow organically. Different countries have different number
of participants, may or may not speak English as their native language, and
various other local issues which works against "one size fits all". Already
in Australia, we have some unique rules on .org.au to permit
Australia-to-Australia trading to take place. Why? Because most Australians
definitely prefer to deal with other Australians, partly because of the
shared currency and low-cost postage and also because we are a small
community of AFOLs, mostly now quite well-known to one another (thanks to
LUGnet). Such postings would get lost in the greater volumes of
.market.buy-sell-trade. If a reorganisation was done, I'd like to stop
hiding this in .org.au and see it called .loc.au.forsale (or whatever).

Similarly I can completely understand that Italians (and other non-native
English speakers) might want a newsgroup to discuss themes in their own
language. However, I take the point that some languages are spoken in many
countries, but if nobody is demanding a global Italian-speaking robotics
group, then why not just create the group that people are actually asking
for?

Anyway, that's my 10c.

Kerry