 Administrative / NNTP / 299
Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 19:41:28 GMT

* Add new group lugnet.rant or lugnet.lego.rant?  Why or why not?
Yes, please.  I would love to see this move out of the usual theme areas.  I
have no opinion on whether it belongs under .lego or not.

* Add new group lugnet.rave or lugnet.lego.rave?  Why or why not?
I like this idea.  I was thinking about posting some sort of rave this
morning.  I am concerned, however, about people being able to control
themselves when they read such things.  It seems inevitable that there will
be negative responses to raves.  Vice versa for rants, of course.  Perhaps
it would help to force followups to another group.

* Add new group lugnet.debate?  Why or why not?
This seems like it should be lugnet.lego.debate if rant 'n' rave go in the
.lego hierarchy.  Again, it would be nice to see this move out of the theme
groups.

* Delete lugnet.market.auction and lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade and replace
these with lugnet.market.forsale, lugnet.market.wanted, and lugnet.market
.swap?  Why or why not?
I'm not sure if I like the idea of for sale, wanted, and swap being separate
groups.  People will almost invariably want to post to at least 2 of these
(swap and 1 of the others).  Is that useful?  Auctions are fundamentally
different in how they operate and especially in how they are posted.
Spamming the auction newsgroup with updates should be OK.  But I would much
rather not see that if I'm trying to buy or trade for specific parts and
trade for them now.  The current 2 groups make a lot more sense to me than
the proposed 3 groups.

* How much and what type of flogging would you like to see in .loc groups?
None?  Some?  Anything goes?  Only certain types?  Why or why not?
Ugh.  Draw a simple line.  I don't know where that line goes.  I would like
to see the ability to do this at least a little bit- announcing that you
picked up the last 5 whatevers at 60% off and will resell for cost is
totally reasonable.  If the line is clear.

* Axe regional subgroups of lugnet.loc.xx and field requests for new
subgroups on a country-by-country basis -- let them grow organically?
Why or why not?
No opinion.  I rarely use loc groups, and I live in a large US metro area.

* Move lugnet.trains.org to lugnet.org.train/ltc/etc., and move
lugnet.castle.org to lugnet.org.castle, and move lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
to lugnet.org.cad.ldraw (or something)?  Why or why not?
Yes- putting them all in .org seems a lot cleaner.  And having a common
forum for orgs in general encourages community cross-pollinization in a good
way.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com