 Administrative / NNTP / 1321
Re: Even more Wow!! for your buck!!! was Re: Woo Hoo!!!!! (part deux...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 14:06:10 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

<snip>

Regarding reverse loops and DCC I seem to recall that it's possible to
automate them so you don't have to cut gaps that the motor has to coast
across

See this track diagram

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/loop.html

Then consider what would happen if you had a sensor to detect which way the
train was entering, which operated the switch (if necessary) shown in the
diagram to align the loop portion correctly.... then while the train was on
the loop section, the switch was thrown again (reversing polarity on a
running DCC controlled motor will NOT cause it to reverse direction) and the
train exits with never a "shorted out across the gap" opportunity.

Surely a clever roboticist could do this in all LEGO. Especially if you had a
motorised switch anyway... the "detect which way the train was entering"
could be the same as "throw the switch to control which way the train enters"

In fact maybe someone already wrote about this here and I forgot?

see also: http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/mrc/mrcad520.htm but that's non LEGO.
sort of defeats the point of the RCX DCC, ne? and
http://jdb.psu.edu/nmra/dcc-faq.html which discusses things to avoid if you
want your controllers to live longer. In fact there are lots more good
reading articles via google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=DCC+reverse+loop&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&start=10&sa=N
(where I found all these)

Hope that helps, sorry if it's a little vague

Actually it makes perfect sense--and could be definitly rigged up with a
polarity switch/train sensor/RCX.

I like it.  I like it alot.  The only thing is that it's yet another RCX and I
only own 4, 2 with the AC adapter.  The gaps work remarkably well, as long as
the gap is long enuf to encompass the entire wheelset.  Tonight I may try to get
two motors on the same Loco # and put them on the same engine, and see how well
that performs across the gap--one motor should always be drawing power then.

I also may try the polarity switch idea--pure LEGO, and see how that goes.

Again, this is great stuff.

Dave K