 Administrative / NNTP / 1171
Re: My Airlock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 21:41:52 GMT

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 09:15:24PM +0000, William R Ward wrote:
Yes, it appears that when Marlon posted that message the encoding got
screwed up.  He's posting from Hotmail, so that's not a surprise.

yes, you are probably correct.

I think the 3D35441 is being interpreted as just 3.  I'm guessing
Brickshelf uses Perl, and in Perl, when converting a string such as
"3D35541" to a number, everything after the first non-numeric
character is ignored.  There would probably also be a warning message
generated but it would appear in the Brickshelf log files which
probably are never seen by human eyes...

tsk tsk, you never take tainted data and just blindly trust it, do you?
:)  I agree that everything from the 'D' on is dropped, but probably
because Kevin, in his infinite wisdom, made brickshelf make SURE that
it's really getting just a number :)

never, ever, trust input you got externally.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com