 Administrative / NNTP / 1033
Re: NNTP newsreader
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 02:02:06 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, William R. Ward wrote:
Doesn't NNTP have an username/password option? I don't think all NNTP
clients support it, but if it could be made optional somehow that
could be a way to do it.

yah, but from when I understand the nntp authentication only allows
you access to the server - it doesn't verify that you post as
yourself only...

Or, have you enter a special header line X-password: that would be
deleted when posted?

we've been through this before... an x header works as long as you never
typo it - once you do that, or if you reply to poster and group, and
your password will be out there.

PGP would be good too.

how many people do you think will actually use it though? Even with the
nice buttons for outlook, I doubt a lot of users will bother installing
PGP, generating the keys, uploading their public key to the server...
seems like something a proper Geek will do, but no one else.

one day. it doesn't hurt to have more options, if people don't want to
use it, that's fine - but it does get pushed down the priority list...

Dan