 Administrative / General / 9606
Re: rude (Re: eBay's Auction for America)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 22:49:43 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
Todd or Suz
This is in the wrong group, can you cancel it (and this one).

Just as a procedural note, for anyone reading this, not just Scott, it has
been my experience that "this" (as used above) as a referent isn't
sufficiently precise. What Todd always seemed to want was a note sent to him
with the specific post or posts uniquely identified (via a URL, or via their
number (such as 9605 which is the number of the post this post references)
and the group name) and specific phrasing along the lines of "please cancel
the referenced post".

No other phrasing I ever tried, no omission of any of that info, ever
resulted in a post actually being cancelled, although I have tried other
phrasings.

Whether Suzanne has instituted a different policy is not clear to me at this
time. Some relaxation of the formula certainly would be welcome to me, as my
cancel requests did not always take even if I tried them repeatedly.

If the person is posting via NNTP, though, they can cancel it themselves if
their newsreader supports cancel. At least they USED to be able to, I have
not tried since the security augmentation went in. I think this was
discussed but did not search to find it.

Hope that is of some help.