 Administrative / General / 9556
Re: New Building (brown)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:07:52 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, John Neal writes:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

But why is the post to trains.org? Worse, why aren't at least the FUT
pointing away?

As I think I mentioned, these are buildings that will appear on the Twin
Cities LEGO Train Club layout.  They were built for the purpose of
displaying on a train layout; I personally consider the .build and
.build.arch crossposts only formalities.

Again, I am an LTD and consider all structures to be merely backdrops for
displaying trains-- for me, it's all about the trains:-)

That's all well and good but the *post* is primarily about buildings. Review
the trains.org charter. Review the building and building.arch charters.

lugnet.trains.org? National and local train clubs/organizations for
  LEGO® enthusiasts: group formation, founding, planning, announcements,
  etc.; inter-group coordination and planning; general ideas, thoughts,
  inspirations, insights, experiences, etc.

If everything that was tangentially related to train organisations was
posted there it would be fearful clutter. I could argue that I ought to post
information (or auction listings) I heard about eBay there because some
train orgs sometimes go there to get parts. That is taking your reasoning to
a ludicrous extreme but it's a difference in degree, not kind.

Yes, your example is extremely ludicrous.  How about this example, which is
more analogous.  What if I posted a picture of one of my club's modules?  >Would you consider trains.org an appropriate place?

If the discussion was around how the module had bearing on the activities of
other clubs, yes, otherwise no.

What if one of those pics
included buildings?

See above

What if one of those pics was *just* of one of those
buildings?

No. Unless you somehow could tie it into the activities or operations of
clubs. It's not enough to just say 'these are buildings for some club'
Review the charter.

general ideas, thoughts,
inspirations, insights, experiences, etc.

refers to club operations. Not just any general ideas about anything at all.

Not for long. I set FUT admin.general since clearly you're having trouble
understanding the charters of the various groups.

You clearly have too much spare time; go split hairs somewhere else.

This is not splitting hairs, it is trying to keep the groups properly
compartmentalised. You goofed and you're trying to cover it up. Why not just
admit it instead of squirming?

Suz will set me straight
if I am misunderstanding the various charters, I am sure.

Maybe not-- no one has *that* much spare time;-)

A simple yes or no, especially when it's so obvious that you're incorrect,
won't take long.