 Administrative / General / 9534
Re: Confusion re: market.brickshops (was Re: New Brickbay shop- McBricks)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 20:01:58 GMT

Julie Krenz wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Kevin Wilson writes:
Cary Clark wrote in message ...
The great thing about market.brickstores is that if you're interested in
BrickBay and the like, there's only one place to look. I don't think you'll
miss any business by not posting to buy-sell-trade.

Except for the people who don't even know market.brickshops exists (like
me), or who are used to seeing BB-related messages in b-s-t.

Which would be probably 98% of LUGNET at this point, I betcha. Easy fix,
though. Crosspost b-s-t with FUT set to brickstores and explain that it's a
new group and it is the place to be for this sort of jammin' action.

Let me take back what I said, above. I re-read both charters carefully and I
think unless there is a charter change, posting sales announcements or new
shop openings may actually be off charter for market.brickshops. Not a LOT
off charter, about as off charter as posting in market.theory, but the
charter for BST seems to fit better.

I reread them because I just had occasion to post something about my store.
The way I read brickshops, it's intended for discussion of store mechanics,
operational problems, etc. Could be wrong but that's the way the charter
reads to me.

I agree with Larry. Here's how the charter is worded:
***
  lugnet.market.brickshops (group):
      Discussions and informational postings related to personal online
      LEGO-related "shops" and third-party buyer/seller services
      (BrickBay, etc.)
***
And here's examples of my thinkin' on it:

I see as an example of  "discussions" as a thread on how the feedback system
could be improved at BB.

I see as an example of  "informational postings" as someone checking in to see
if BB is down, or is it just them type of thing.

I don't see anywhere in the above that lugnet.market.brickshops is a place to
post store openings/reopenings or sales annoucements.

The lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade page reads like this:

? Community trading post, items wanted, items for straight sale (no auctions),
experiences, market analysis (1), etc.

Since lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade is for "items for straight sale" (which is
what BrickBay is) I think b.s.t. is the appropriate place to post store
openings/reopenings or sales annoucements.

Suz or Todd could we please have a clearification on this issue?

Definitely confusing. If it is for discussion of brickshops, I wonder
why we need another group, or does that kind of discussion not really
fit lugnet.market.theory.

I would dearly love to see lugnet.market.brickshops be the place to
announce sales and whatnot for Brickbay and other such online shops. I
think we need to separate the market traffic for "individual, primarily
by e-mail" selling and trading from the traffic announcing stuff for
sale on easily searchable, multiple seller venues (especially since
Brickbay has a feature to send buyers e-mails when desired items are in
stock).

I also wonder, does anyone run non-eBay auctions any more? I haven't
particularly paid attention. I'd be real inclined to let those be
announced in lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade given that 99% of the auction
traffic is now on eBay.

Frank