 Administrative / General / 9413
9412  |  9414
Subject:
Ongoing Battle in posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 22:18:02 GMT

Note: This is a fire-it-and-forget-it post.  I will state my opinions here,
right, wrong, left, upside-down, backwards, or otherwise, and likely not
respond to any replies.

I would like to bring up several points that several people in our community
seem to be forgetting over and over again.

Respect - mis-spelling someone's name intentionally when he has made it
clear that it bothers him is not only childish, it shows less respect than
the average person would give to a stranger on the street.

Respect - using words in public or in private that you would be embarrassed
to have your mother hear you say or horrified that a young child had learned
from you is probably an example of a word you should expunge from your
vocabulary.  There are thousands of words that could get a point across much
better than a swear word without being socially unacceptable.

On the subject of social acceptablity - I am not saying that you have to fit
a cookie-cutter image of perfection to be a valuable member of a given
society.  That is what we are here at LUGnet - a society of folks with a
similar interest in this wonderful little toy and all of its the divergent
uses.  There are certain rules that any society expects of it's members and
will enforce, if necessary.  Being polite and respectful is *not* the same
as going along with the flow - it involves *thinking* before you speak (or
write) and stating your opinion in a calm, rational manner rather than the
inflammatory manner that has reigned recently.  There is now an
authentication process for posting that gives *no one* here an excuse to not
re-think what they have written before they post

And back to Respect - Please, please remember that this is a place where we
all want to have fun - even in .debate they're just doing the arguing to
entertain themselves, although I personally find even reading .debate
exhausting.

I think I speak for a lot of others when I say -

Let's get back to the fun!

~~Tanya