 Administrative / General / 9349
Re: lugnet.space.mecha?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 02:23:01 GMT

(Eric speaking in George W. Bush's voice, from SNL skit)

"I'm a uniter, not a divider."

Seriously, I'd like to see both of the groups closer too. Mecha and spacecraft
are both futurist vehicles that are sometimes, in very odd situations, hard to
tell apart. Even if they are not the same, both groups can learn a lot from
each other.

Mladen Pejic, over and out!
http://members.attcanada.ca/~milovan/index.htm

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Sophie writes:
Hey Guys, This is interesting because when I post a blurb about a new Mech I
feel the Space guys would dig it too. Plus once I remember someone
complained that they had to constantly;
"thumb thru all these Build.Mecha posts in order to read the newsgroup I was
interested in."

I think the person missed the fact that .Mecha is in the .Build section and
also it was at a time where several of us released new creations all at once.

I thought that was a little closed minded, and slighted our group or he/she
failed to realize that the fact that sometimes a cross post is made because
sometimes a particular aspect of a given creation pays ode to another form
or theme, like castle or Town.

I mean what if I made a cool Mech. and It has some really old classic town
windows used in it in a nice or unussual way. So hence the cross post.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, I'd like to see the Space Group and
Mech Group come closer together. I ussually cross post my Mechs to Space
already, but I think if they were closer together alot more communication
might take place.....if not just beacuse it's in the field of vision and
sometimes that's enough to spur on replies. Right now for me comunicato
between the two has been sparse. But then again some people are builders of
both and participate likewise.

I built Space stuff for years. I can't make a Mech with out it practically.
A boat load of Space sets can make a good mech.

But then here's this.....

It has been my experience, although may not hold true for others...is that
building Houses, Cars,Trucks, Space Stations, Castles, Space Ships, then
Robots and Mecha is a progression, from one style to another learning and
refining techinques. Some people stay with certain themes move on to them or
go back. I moved onto where I'm at after I built Space stuff for years. I
think it would be nice to have .Mecha along side .Space Simply because over
time if that one person moves on or just gives it a whirl, it's near by and
influencial to building development and I think that's great. Come' on were
COUSINS!

Thanks, Eric

Prideful plug.
www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Legomaster

In lugnet.build.mecha, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.build.mecha, Peter Guenther writes:
Consequently, should .build.arch be moved to .town?  Should .build.contests
be moved to .events?  I'm sure you could argue that there are more
appropriate places for these newsgroups as well, but the fact remains that
people have been using them and are used to them where they are.
So to end my rambling, I'd take Matt's advice, and post to both if you want
to reach the mecha builders and the space heads.
Best suggestion?  Why not have an @ link on the Space page like there
already is for Star Wars?  Keep mecha in its current place but also give it
visibility in space.

Oooh, good idea!  Very good idea!  I like, very much.

Cheers,
- jsproat