 Administrative / General / 9291
Re: Are that many people really glad about the security stuff?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 06:28:46 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Peter McLoone writes:
Do me a fav, would you mind picking a part the rest of the message instead
of acting like some wisecrack. I wouldn't mind hearing your reasons too.
That is of course, unless you have nothing to back you besides a few angry
LUGNET users who got out of hand

Ummm...will I do?

Larry responded nicely to your post. Believe me, there are probably many
sarcastic remarks being withheld on his part, in order for him to respond
civily to you (and for me as well).

To pick apart the message wouldn't be fair. You present it as one long
thought. You require folks to ascertain the breaks for you, instead of
giving us natural breathing room.

Please, if you expect folks to continue reading your posts, and respond,
start using papagraphs to break up your thoughts. It makes it easier for us
to read, and to respond to your statements.

Now, you weren't around, I believe, for the situation that brought this
authentication system about. First, if you truly want to understand a bit
better, dig around with the search function to see what was happening in the
groups (this goes for those saying "I wasn't affected, so I shouldn't be
punished" also). I had to do the same when I started frequenting LUGNET, and
it helped me see where everyone was coming from.

As for me, as a member and a web user, I am, of course, not affected by the
security measures. However, I will point out that there are far more
archaic/intrusive/clunky systems in use out there. At least the fix Todd has
implemented relies on standard, proven techniques, rather than some funky
Java script or something. And Todd is TOTALLY FLEXIBLE. He is listening.
Believe me on this. If/when a better idea comes up, that he can implement
with a minimum of hassle, he will do so.

Larry is correct...e-mail your ideas/concerns/etc. to Todd. This is a
community, and it is up to us to make it the place we want it to be.

Matt