 Administrative / General / 9265
Re: Skip Filter Settings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:54:18 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Duane Hess writes:
Todd,
Would you be able to simplify the skip filter settings screen when you get a
chance? I was wondering if you could go with a check box or radio button
next to the groups that you would/wouldn't like to subscribe to. Although
the current method works, it's kind of a pain to use. Obviously, I know you
have higher priority things going on at the moment, so when you get a chance.

Well, the skip-filter feature is really for blanket-masking of large numbers
of groups rather than a case-by-case subscription feature, which is why it's
text-based (pattern matching in this case), and a special advantage of that
approach is that it automatically masks out new groups in areas you've
masked.  For example, if you're filtering out all ".loc" groups, then any
new one would be automatically filtered as well.

However, there will be an actual "subscribe to this group" (and optionally
its subgroups) type of feature through the web interface, which will do what
you want and more...but it won't be ready for a while.  (And yes, I plan to
put in so-called "kill-filing" at that same time as well, or at least
something that lowers/raises the priority/visibility of messages to you based
on criteria you specify, which may be groups or posters or other things.)

--Todd