 Administrative / General / 8836
Re: 6769 Fort Legoredo on sale at Shop At Home!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:15:37 GMT

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 08:33:14 GMT,  writes:
All in all, what does it really matter????  I mean, they made a SPECIAL
effort to offer these sets to US FIRST - they could have easily ignored us
alltogether, but no - They gave us first shot.

For us AFOLs, it was an incredibly nice thing to do.  And for LD, it's a
nice way to gather a data point on our buying power.  It's a win-win.

But...

I would definitely say this
belongs in all of the newsgroups they posted it in,

Actually, it doesn't really belong in the main .announce group -- it was an
unsolicited commercial post, and people have always been discoraged from
doing that there.  There's a special subgroup of .announce called
announce.lsahs for LEGO Shop-At-Home Service announcements, but its charter
may be confusing as to whether LD is allowed to post there, since it
currently says "unofficial" announcements of specials.  In any case, this
was just a first time, and there's no real harm done, except in the
confusion it caused, which is minor.  I certainly believe it was an honest
oversight, since if the goal was to get it out to as many people as possible
as quickly as possible, clearly .announce.lsahs is subscribed to via e-mail
by many more people than .announce is (lemme check the stats...ok...224 and
102 subscribers, respectively).

he also did the right
thing by fixing the reply to part. I would consider this an announcement of
GRAND scale!

Ya.

Look at the rating for this set, people LOVE this set, and it
goes for crazy amounts on ebay and brickbay - when and if you can find it.

I hear you, but the ratings aren't really relevant to this.  (Again, no real
harm was done, so I don't mean to sound like something really bad happened.)

In no way would I call a MOC by Kevin, or ANYBODY else (not picking on
Kevin)proper to go into the announce thread, BUT when LEGO makes a SPECIAL
effort on a SPECIAL set, it really does belong there.

No, it doesn't.  See above.  (And again, no real harm done -- I'm not trying
to scold anyone -- and I really don't want to have to make a big deal out of
this -- I just need to get things clarified for in the future.)

We as a whole have
done nothing but sh*t on LD recently, and they do this for us, and you sh*t
on this?  [...]

No, no, relax...nobody's saying the post wasn't appreciated, and nobody's
saying LD did anything wrong or bad on purpose.  The issue is simply what to
do with any future posts of the same type.  I'll clarify the .announce stuff
and make it more clear that LD announcements don't go in .announce but go in
.announce.lsahs instead.

--Todd

[followups to lugnet.admin.nntp]